Online Foundations of Aromatherapy Certificate Program
The Foundations of Aromatherapy Certificate program has been designed for massage therapists, estheticians, nurses, healthcare providers and individuals interested in exploring aromatherapy and the benefits of essential oils.
This is an entry-level class. No previous Aromatherapy training is required!
As a rapidly growing natural plant-based form of healthcare, Aromatherapy education is a must for those seeking to utilize essential oils for self care as well as for those interested in creating a sustainable business.
What’s it like studying online with the School for Aromatic Studies? You can explore how our online platform works by registering for our FREE Introduction to Aromatherapy.
Our Free Introduction to Aromatherapy comes with 12 instructional videos, just like this one (click to go to video):
Course Overview: Core Topics
|Aromatherapy Foundations Core Topics|
|The Holistic Framework||The Quality of Essential Oils|
|Essential Oils Study||Monographs on 24 Essential Oils|
|Safety and Essential Oils||Aromatic Skincare|
|Blending Approaches and Techniques||Olfaction and Emotions|
|Methods of Application||Aromatic Treatment Design and Implementation|
|Self care and Healthcare with Aromatherapy.||Basic Chemistry of Essential Oils|
|Basic Case study for family, friends |
and existing healthcare professionals.
|What to do next?|
Upon successful completion of Foundations of Aromatherapy program, you will be able to:
- Discuss the history of aromatherapy and its modern development.
- Compare and contrast a true essential oil with a fragrance oil.
- Identify key elements in determining the quality of an essential oil.
- Understand and discuss methods of production and the various end products these methods produce.
- Identify the origins and purpose of an essence in a plant.
- Define what an essential oil is and how it is produced.
- Demonstrate knowledge of 24 essential oils, including Latin binomial, safety information, and key therapeutic and/or energetic properties of each individual essential oil.
- Understand current up-to-date information on safety and essential oils.
- Describe the basic physiology of the skin and its key functions.
- Design an effective blend for a basic skincare.
- Describe the basic anatomy & physiology of the sense of smell.
- Specify key parts of the limbic system and their function.
- Create blends for an emotional purpose.
- List and describe various methods of application techniques and delivery systems.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the chemistry of essential oils.
- Design aromatic blends for a range of common household ailments.
- Assess your needs for advanced education in aromatherapy.
- Develop clear career goals and a path to become an Aromatherapist.
You will learn about the following essential oils:
- Clary sage: Salvia sclarea
- Roman Chamomile: Chamaemelum nobile syn. Anthemis nobilis
- Cypress: Cupressus sempervirens
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus globulus
- Fennel: Foeniculum vulgare
- Frankincense: Boswellia carteii syn. thurifera
- Geranium: Pelargonium graveolens
- Ginger: Zingiber officinale
- Grapefruit: Citrus paradisi
- Helichrysum: Helichrysum italicum
- Juniper berry: Juniperus communis
- Lavender: Lavandula angustifolia
- Laurel: Laurus nobilis
- Lemon: Citrus limon
- Lemongrass: Cymbopogon citratus
- Orange: Citrus sinensis
- Patchouli: Pogostemom cablin
- Peppermint: Mentha x piperita
- Pine: Pinus sylvestris
- Rosemary: Rosmarinus officinalis
- Tangerine/Mandarin: Citrus reticulata
- Tea Tree: Melaleuca alternifolia
- Vetiver: Vetiveria zizanoides
- Ylang ylang: Cananga odorata
How do I become certified with the Foundations Aromatherapy Certificate Program?
In order to receive the School for Aromatic Studies certification students must:
- Complete all modules in the Foundations of Aromatherapy program.
- Complete 5 case studies on family, friends, self, or existing and willing clients.
- Complete final exam (requested when ready to take).
- Send in final exam and 5 case studies.
This program is approved by the NCBTMB for 40 CE Hours for massage therapists.
Career Opportunities for Graduates of the Foundations Aromatherapy Certificate Program:
What are the School for Aromatic Studies graduates doing?
- Creating dynamic therapeutic aromatherapy products and/or organic body care lines
- Designing and creating botanical perfumes
- Establishing on-line website stores selling aromatic and herbal products
- Educating the public and healthcare practitioners about aromatherapy
- Writing articles for aromatherapy magazines, online publications and health magazines
- Integrating aromatherapy into an existing practice to enhance client health
Course Enrollment Information
- Exclusive Online Foundations of Aromatherapy certificate program designed and written by Jade Shutes
- Exclusive Monographs on 24 essential oils
- Discounts on additional materials through our exclusive suppliers.
- Email/phone tutorial support
- Review of case studies and final exam.
- CE hours for massage therapists.
- Issuance of certificate for 100 hours of aromatherapy education. **Can now join NAHA as an Aromatherapy Advocate.
Here is a Aromatic Studies Foundations Course Supply List. If you already have supplies or a favorite supplier, great! If not, you may need to purchase additional supplies to complete your case studies. A kit is available for purchase inside Module One of the course.
Anyone may register for this class. No previous Aromatherapy training is required.
Is this course all online?
Yes. The Foundations of Aromatherapy certification program is an online course designed as a self-paced course of study. You can complete the course on your own time and based upon your own schedule and goals.
Online learning is makes learning easy and accessible. With online education you can take your course with you on any device you choose. Download pdf files to read later, watch video content, or view course content on your device.
Throughout the course, you will interact with other students in the student forum devoted to learning a strong Foundations of knowledge with aromatherapy, enabling you to cultivate relationships and community with other individuals interested in aromatherapy! You will also have access to our team of moderators who will ensure you get the support you need — in most cases, your questions will be answered within 24-48 hours.
Our multimedia online program is designed to support your learning of the course material. Each module is packed full of information and hands-on assignments to actively engage your senses and your intellect!
Are there prerequisites?
No. This course is open to everyone with an interest in deepening their knowledge of aromatherapy.
How long do I have to complete the program?
As long as you need! The average time to complete is: 2-4 months.
Does this course offer CE hours for Massage therapists?
Yes. This course offers 30 CE hours through the NCBTMB.
How do I complete my certification?
To receive your certification for Foundations of Aromatherapy, you will need to complete module quizzes, a final exam and 5 case studies on friends, family, existing clients, and/or yourself. You will learn more details on how to do this inside the course!
What supplies will I need?
Brief description, link to supplies kit. Link to suppliers
Does the course have video and audio content?
Yes! The Foundations of Aromatherapy includes 24+ videos and webinars and 25 audio recordings.
Did you say I will have access to the course for Life?
Yes, once you register for an online course, it is yours for life!
Are you approved by a professional aromatherapy organization?
Yes, we are an approved school through the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy. We are also approved for massage CE hours through the NCBTMB.
Can I join the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy?
Yes! Upon completion of the Foundations of Aromatherapy Certificate program, you will be able to join as an aromatherapy advocate. To become a full professional member, considering completing our Online Clinical Aromatherapy Certification Program: Aromatic Scholars program.
Can I sign up if I don’t live in the United States?
Yes! We have students from all over the world taking courses with us. All courses are in English.
What makes your program different from all the others?
The School for Aromatic Studies is one of the leading schools in North America. We are often asked, What makes our school unique? I believe one of the most unique features is our balanced, progressive & inspiring education a path for a new generation of aromatherapists to emerge and succeed!