More dates posted soon!
Our Live, in-person Foundations of Aromatherapy: Level One Certificate Program course has been designed for individuals interested in advancing their journey into aromatherapy by becoming certified.
This course provides you with a solid foundation in aromatherapy so that you can begin or add to your practice, build your business, or simply be empowered to care for yourself and your family using the beauty of plant-derived essential oils and other botanicals.
The New York Institute of Aromatic Studies Foundations of Aromatherapy Level One Certificate Program meets and exceeds level one educational standards set forth by the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy. Upon completion of this course, you may join NAHA as a Certified Aromatherapist: Level 1.
A transformative learning experience, our Foundations program was created for anyone interested in a meaningful exploration of aromatherapy and essential oils. Estheticians, yoga teachers, health practitioners, beauty entrepreneurs, massage therapists, psychotherapists and more—all are welcome. The program is interactive, comprehensive and lively—a guided journey into an intricate, beautiful world.
The Foundations Level One Certificate Program is for—Everyone! This is an entry-level class. No previous Aromatherapy training is required!
Live in-person Aromatherapy Certificate Program in New York City:
For those students who prefer an in-person learning experience, our live program follows the exact curriculum as the online version of this course, but modifies it for a live classroom setting, while incorporating scheduled class time for students to participate in consulting exercises and blending practice time.
Enrolling and participating in our Live version of this exceptional program offers students exciting opportunities not available in to our online students. For example, as a Live participant, students receive our comprehensive Student Materials Kit and Course Book free with their course tuition ( a $600 value), plus they have access to over 50+ other botanical ingredients and 100+ essential oils, as well as sharing the experience of learning together as a community, and making new lifelong connections.
The Live version of the course follows a slightly different schedule order than our online program, and often the flexibility of scheduling the course modules is up to each individual Instructor. Although the schedule of topics each day may change, the curriculum remains the same. Here is a breakdown of the course curriculum:
Foundations Level 1
Certificate Program Outline
Introduction and Manufacturing Forms
Getting Started, Supply List and Recommended Books, Introduction to Aromatherapy, Holistic Health and Wellness, The Art of Language
Plants and Essential Oils
Medicinal Plants, Biological Role of Essential Oils, From Plant to Essential Oil, Absolutes and CO2 Extracts, The Basics of Essential Oils, Quality Assurance, Safety and Essential Oils
Exploring 24 Essential Oils
How to Read Essential Oil Monographs, Essential Therapeutics (24 essential oils)
Essential Oil Monographs: Roman Chamomile, Clary sage, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Juniper berry, Laurel, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Mandarin / Tangerine, Sweet Orange, Patchouli, Peppermint, Pine, Scots, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang. Sprout: Insight About Blending
Introduction to the Chemistry of Essential Oils, Monoterpenes and Sesquiterpenes, Alcohols and Esters, Aldehydes and Ketones, Phenols and Phenylpropanoids, Oxides and Other Families, Chemistry in Practice
Methods of Application
Body/Facial Oils and Creams, Cleansers and Toners, Aromatic Baths, Spritzers and Scrubs, Inhalation and Diffusion, Gels and Salves, Compress, Hot Towels, and Mouthwash, Undiluted/Neat Application
Blending and Consultations
The Aromatherapy Consultation, Developing a 'Treatment' Framework, Developing an Aromatic Blend, Final Steps Blending, Blending Observations, Aromatic Program Charts
Aromatherapy and the Skin
Understanding the Skin, Essential Oils for the Skin, Vegetable Oils, Other Raw Material, Hydrosols, Common Skin Conditions, Herbal Infused Oils and Salves with Juliet Blankespoor
Our Sense of Smell
Introduction to Olfaction, Anatomy of Olfaction, The Limbic System, Aromatherapy and Stress, Flower Essences with Cathy Skipper
Aromatics in Health
The Respiratory System, The Digestive System, The Musculoskeletal System, Women’s Health, The Circulatory System, and Aromatherapy for Children
Business and Aromatherapy
The Business of Aromatherapy, Business Development, Resources
How to Complete Program, About Case Studies, Submit Case Studies, Foundations Final Exam
Who is this course for?
Everyone! This course is your doorway into the world of aromatherapy.
- The Aromatherapy Entrepreneur who would like to develop or expand their existing business.
- Massage Therapists and Estheticians who would like to add aromatherapy into their practice.
- Individuals who would like to be empowered to care for themselves, their family and friends with natural plant-based remedies.
- Herbalists interested in integrating essential oils into their herbal practice and formulations.
- Brand wellness advocates and representatives who would like to deepen their knowledge while selling a line of essential oils.
What you will learn:
- The incredible history of aromatherapy and its modern development.
- The origins and purpose of essential oils within the plant
- What an essential oil is and how it is produced.
- How to ‘smell’ an essential oil and….key elements to identifying quality of an essential oil.
- Learn about the amazing sense of smell and how it can transform emotions and well-being.
- How to formulate and blend to support emotional well-being.
- How the chemistry of an essential oil supports its therapeutic properties.
- A common-sense approach to safety with essential oils.
- The basics of anatomy and physiology of the skin and key factors which support the skin’s health and beauty.
- How to formulate a variety of aromatic and herbal products.
- How to make a variety of aromatherapy-based skin care products that nourish the skin.
- 24 essential oils, including Latin binomial, safety information for each oil, plus the therapeutic and/or energetic properties of each individual essential oil.
- Essential Oil Monographs: Roman Chamomile, Clary sage, Cypress, Eucalyptus globulus, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Juniper berry, Laurel, Bay, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Mandarin / Tangerine, Sweet Orange, Patchouli, Peppermint, Pine, Scots, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Vetiver, and Ylang Ylang
The live version of our Foundations of Aromatherapy: Level One Certificate Program is offered many times throughout the year, at different times, at our NYC location unless otherwise stated.
With Amandine Peter
Sunday, June 7th - Thursday, June 11th | 2020
9:30 am - 5:00 pm EST
Interested in learning more about this program before you take the leap? Join us for a free Introduction to Essential Oils in NYC!
What you will be able to do:
Graduates of the School for Aromatic Studies Foundation of Aromatherapy Certificate Program have a wide range of potential careers to explore including:
- Aromatherapy practitioner
- Aromatherapy entrepreneur
- Aromatherapy writer/blogger
- Spa consultant/practitioner
- Retail specialist
- Aromatherapy educator
- Integrative healthcare practitioner
- Product designer
- Hospice/Palliative care practitioner
Meet the Instructors at our NYC location who teach our Foundations of Aromatherapy Level One Certificate Teachers:
Amy Galper, B.A., M.A., Dipl. AT, Co-Founder of the New York Institute of Aromatic Studies, has been a Certified Aromatherapist since 2001, as well as a passionate advocate, entrepreneur, formulator and consultant in organic beauty and wellness. She has also co-authored the newly released book, “Plant Powered Beauty”, published by BenBella Books.
Amy Anthony B.A, is a certified clinical Aromatherapist with a private practice in Manhattan, NY. Her focus is on customized aromatherapy and education: she consults with clients and teaches classes and workshops at the NYIOA and around the NY metro area. Amy also enjoys formulating customized delivery methods that encourage the safe, practical use of aromatherapy for her clients—like lip balms, fizzing bath balls, shower bars, body butters, creams and more.
Amandine Peter has lived with plants as long as she can remember. She grew up in the countryside with nature as her playground, and remembers playing all day long with her siblings and cousins in her grandfather's garden, picking fruits and vegetables from the ground and eating them, and helping her grandfather hand-pick beetles to keep them out of our potato plants. Her mother used to diffuse eucalyptus essential oil in the winter to keep the family safe from germs and purify the atmosphere. She started to study essential oils in her teens because she was a very sensitive person who used to be sick every two months, with all sorts of benign ailments. She was also diagnosed with depression and anxiety. After incorporating essential oils into her life, she is now physically, mentally and emotionally healthy and connected to her body and to mother nature.
Justin Wertz is a certified aromatherapist, teacher, and founder of Brooklyn-based Dirty Dude Apothecary. Justin started making beard oil in 2013 inspired by his obsession for fragrance and raw materials. He launched his first batch of Wertz all-natural beard oil in fall of 2014. For Justin, a beard embodies gentlemen qualities such as patience and commitment balanced by a "life is an open rode" mentality. All of his company’s personal care products are 100% organic, safe, plant based and awesome. See for yourself at https://www.dirtydudeapothecary.com/