Online Aromatherapy Certification
Level 1: Foundations of Aromatherapy Course
Interested in becoming a Certified Aromatherapist?
Searching for information you can trust on how to use and blend essential oils confidently?
The School for Aromatic Studies offers a transformative learning experience, created for anyone interested in a meaningful exploration of aromatherapy and essential oils. Estheticians, yoga teachers, health practitioners, beauty entrepreneurs, massage therapists, psychotherapists and more—all are welcome.
The program is interactive, comprehensive and lively—a guided journey into an intricate, beautiful world.
The Foundations Certificate Program is for—Everyone!
This is an entry-level class. No previous Aromatherapy training is required!
Online Aromatherapy Certification:
Foundations Level 1 Course Outline
In this module, you will learn about the history of aromatherapy and its modern development. Jade will share her unique perspective on how aromatherapy is a holistic health and wellness practice and why the language we use has an impact on aromatherapy.
Plants and Essential Oils
In this module, you will learn why plants produce essential oils, and the role essential oils have within plants. Next you will learn how we extract essential oils via distillation and expression, including a video with Jade distilling. You will also learn about absolutes and CO2 Extracts and how they differ from essential oils. This module includes how to determine you are selecting quality essential oils and using them safely.
Exploring 24 Essential Oils
In this module, you will discover the therapeutic benefits of 24 essential oils through videos created by Jade to support you as you cultivate your relationship with and understanding of these aromatic tools.
Essential Oil Monographs: Roman Chamomile, Clary sage, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Juniper berry, Laurel, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Mandarin / Tangerine, Sweet Orange, Patchouli, Peppermint, Pine, Scots, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang. Sprout: Insight About Blending
Here it is: the chemistry of essential oils. In this module Jade will guide you in developing a relationship with the chemistry that is not so much over-emphasized but rather inspires you to appreciate how the chemistry influences the amazing benefits they have.
Methods of Application
In this module, you will learn how to formulate, blend, and create: Body & Facial Oils, Creams, Cleansers, Toners, Aromatic Baths, Gels, Salves, Spritzers and Scrubs. You will also learn how to make blends for Inhalation and Diffusion. You will learn how to make Compress and how to add aromatherapy into Hot Towels for massage or esthetic practice. To support your learning, you will have beautiful worksheets to guide you through the formulation of each of these products, building confidence in the blending process.
Blending and Consultations
In this module, you will be introduced to the Aromatic Studies approach to blending: from how to do an Aromatherapy Consultation, creating a holistic wellness plan, to insights about blending that inspire and empower.
Aromatherapy and the Skin
In this module, you will be amazed by the skin, its roll in our health and how you can use essential oils to support the skins health and vitality. Jade will introduce you to a range of carrier oils and other plant-based ingredients that enhance the therapeutic benefits of essential oils. Common Skin Conditions will be covered. And finally, you will learn how to make Herbal Infused Oils and Salves with Juliet Blankespoor! Plus an extra video with Jade showing you step by step how to make a herbal infused oil.
Our Sense of Smell
In this module, you will fall in love with your sense of smell while learning about its anatomy and how it influences our emotion and well-being. You will learn how to use essential oils to relieve stress and reduce the negative impact of stress on the body and mind.
Aromatics in Health
In this module, you will learn how to effectively use essential oils and different methods of application for a wide range of health imbalances. System covered include: The Respiratory System, The Digestive System, The Musculoskeletal System, Women’s Health, The Circulatory System, and Aromatherapy for Children
Business and Aromatherapy
In this module, Jade will guide you through the Business of Aromatherapy and provide you with valuable resources for your journey as an aromatherapy entrepreneur.
In the final module, you will be guided on how to complete program with your case studies and of course, the final exam to receive your Certification as an Aromatherapist!
What you will learn:
- The incredible history of aromatherapy and its modern development.
- The origins and purpose of essential oils within the plant
- What an essential oil is and how it is produced.
- How to ‘smell’ an essential oil and….key elements to identifying quality of an essential oil.
- Learn about the amazing sense of smell and how it can transform emotions and well-being.
- How to formulate and blend to support emotional well-being.
- How the chemistry of an essential oil supports its therapeutic properties.
- A common-sense approach to safety with essential oils.
- The basics of anatomy and physiology of the skin and key factors which support the skins health and beauty.
- How to formulate a variety of aromatic and herbal products.
- How to make a variety of aromatherapy-based skin care products that nourish the skin.
- 24 essential oils, including Latin binomial, safety information for each oil, plus the therapeutic and/or energetic properties of each individual essential oil.
Essential Oil Monographs: Roman Chamomile, Clary sage, Cypress, Eucalyptus globulus, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Juniper berry, Laurel, Bay, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Mandarin / Tangerine, Sweet Orange, Patchouli, Peppermint, Pine, Scots, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Vetiver, and Ylang Ylang
Who is this course for?
Everyone! This course is your doorway into the world of aromatherapy.
- The Aromatherapy Entrepreneur who would like to develop or expand their existing business.
- Massage Therapists and Estheticians who would like to add aromatherapy into their practice.
- Individuals who would like to be empowered to care for themselves, their family and friends with natural plant-based remedies.
- Herbalists interested in integrating essential oils into their herbal practice and formulations.
- Brand wellness advocates and representatives who would like to deepen their knowledge while selling a line of essential oils.
What you will be able to do:
Graduates of the School for Aromatic Studies Foundation of Aromatherapy Certification Program have a wide range of potential careers to explore including:
- Aromatherapy practitioner
- Aromatherapy entrepreneur
- Aromatherapy writer/blogger
- Spa consultant/practitioner
- Retail specialist
- Aromatherapy educator
- Integrative healthcare practitioner
- Product designer
- Hospice/Palliative care practitioner
This online course is self-paced. Begin as soon as you sign up!
Watch the videos and read the lessons on any device, at your own pace and convenience.
Our Online Aromatherapy Certification (Level 1): Foundations of Aromatherapy comes with:
- 10 Modules devoted to Foundations of Aromatherapy
- 75+ Exclusive Instructional Videos
- Downloadable and Printable PDF lessons
- Lifetime Access to Course Material and Video Content
- Jade's Favorite Suppliers and Resources
- Foundations of Aromatherapy Student forum
- Graduate Directory listing upon successful completion of course.
Meet Your Online Aromatherapy Certification Instructor: Jade Shutes
Jade holds a Diploma in Holistic Aromatherapy, Holistic Massage, Anatomy and Physiology, and Reflexology from the Raworth College of Natural Medicine in Dorking, UK, and a Diploma in Aromatherapy from the International Therapist Examining board (ITEC). Jade is currently completing her Masters of Science in Therapeutic Herbalism at the Maryland University of Integrative Health. She hopes to inspire a new generation of aromatherapists with a balanced, progressive and integrative approach to the practice of aromatherapy. She is the founder, visionary, and director of education for the School for Aromatic Studies.
Through learning about, smelling, and blending essential oils, Jade inspires her students to observe how our sense of smell impacts our well-being and our relationships with plants, one another, and with our world and with nature.
My experience at The School for Aromatic Studies has been amazing. I have completed the Foundation of Aromatics course and am now working my way through the Aromatic Scholars course. I have taken numerous distance learning programs and this one is the most beautiful and easy to navigate course that I have had the privilege of taking. As a busy mom, I have been grateful to be able to work through the course materials at my own pace and the program is set up to be able to easily see just where you have left off. The materials are incredibly informative and I love how much I am learning about essential oils and how to safely use them for my family and friends. So happy with these courses and looking forward to taking a few more in the future.