Online Aromatherapy Certification
Level 1: Foundations of Aromatherapy Course
Interested in becoming a Certified Aromatherapist?
Our Foundations of Aromatherapy Certification course has been designed for individuals interested in advancing their journey into aromatherapy by becoming certified. This course provides you with a solid foundation in aromatherapy so that you can begin or add to your practice, build your business, or simply be empowered to care for yourself and your family using the beauty of plant-derived essential oils and other botanicals.
The School for Aromatic Studies Foundation of Aromatherapy certification program meets and exceeds level one educational standards set forth by the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy. Upon completion of this course, you may join NAHA as a Certified Aromatherapist: Level 1.
A transformative learning experience, our Foundations program was created for anyone interested in a meaningful exploration of aromatherapy and essential oils. Estheticians, yoga teachers, health practitioners, beauty entrepreneurs, massage therapists, psychotherapists and more—all are welcome. The program is interactive, comprehensive and lively—a guided journey into an intricate, beautiful world.
The Foundations Certificate Program is for—Everyone! This is an entry-level class. No previous Aromatherapy training is required!
Online Aromatherapy Certification:
Foundations Level 1 Course Outline
Getting Started, Supply List and Recommended Books, Introduction to Aromatherapy, Holistic Health and Wellness, The Art of Language
Plants and Essential Oils
Medicinal Plants, Biological Role of Essential Oils, From Plant to Essential Oil, Absolutes and CO2 Extracts, The Basics of Essential Oils, Quality Assurance, Safety and Essential Oils
Exploring 24 Essential Oils
How to Read Essential Oil Monographs, Essential Therapeutics (24 essential oils)
Essential Oil Monographs: Roman Chamomile, Clary sage, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Juniper berry, Laurel, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Mandarin / Tangerine, Sweet Orange, Patchouli, Peppermint, Pine, Scots, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang. Sprout: Insight About Blending
Introduction to the Chemistry of Essential Oils, Monoterpenes and Sesquiterpenes, Alcohols and Esters, Aldehydes and Ketones, Phenols and Phenylpropanoids, Oxides and Other Families, Chemistry in Practice
Methods of Application
Body/Facial Oils and Creams, Cleansers and Toners, Aromatic Baths, Spritzers and Scrubs, Inhalation and Diffusion, Gels and Salves, Compress, Hot Towels, and Mouthwash, Undiluted/Neat Application
Blending and Consultations
The Aromatherapy Consultation, Developing a 'Treatment' Framework, Developing an Aromatic Blend, Final Steps Blending, Blending Observations, Aromatic Program Charts
Aromatherapy and the Skin
Understanding the Skin, Essential Oils for the Skin, Vegetable Oils, Other Raw Material, Hydrosols, Common Skin Conditions, Herbal Infused Oils and Salves with Juliet Blankespoor
Our Sense of Smell
Introduction to Olfaction, Anatomy of Olfaction, The Limbic System, Aromatherapy and Stress, Flower Essences with Cathy Skipper
Aromatics in Health
The Respiratory System, The Digestive System, The Musculoskeletal System, Women’s Health, The Circulatory System, and Aromatherapy for Children
Business and Aromatherapy
The Business of Aromatherapy, Business Development, Resources
How to Complete Program, About Case Studies, Submit Case Studies, Foundations Final Exam
What you will learn:
- The incredible history of aromatherapy and its modern development.
- The origins and purpose of essential oils within the plant
- What an essential oil is and how it is produced.
- How to ‘smell’ an essential oil and….key elements to identifying quality of an essential oil.
- Learn about the amazing sense of smell and how it can transform emotions and well-being.
- How to formulate and blend to support emotional well-being.
- How the chemistry of an essential oil supports its therapeutic properties.
- A common-sense approach to safety with essential oils.
- The basics of anatomy and physiology of the skin and key factors which support the skins health and beauty.
- How to formulate a variety of aromatic and herbal products.
- How to make a variety of aromatherapy-based skin care products that nourish the skin.
- 24 essential oils, including Latin binomial, safety information for each oil, plus the therapeutic and/or energetic properties of each individual essential oil.
Essential Oil Monographs: Roman Chamomile, Clary sage, Cypress, Eucalyptus globulus, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Juniper berry, Laurel, Bay, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Mandarin / Tangerine, Sweet Orange, Patchouli, Peppermint, Pine, Scots, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Vetiver, and Ylang Ylang
Who is this course for?
Everyone! This course is your doorway into the world of aromatherapy.
- The Aromatherapy Entrepreneur who would like to develop or expand their existing business.
- Massage Therapists and Estheticians who would like to add aromatherapy into their practice.
- Individuals who would like to be empowered to care for themselves, their family and friends with natural plant-based remedies.
- Herbalists interested in integrating essential oils into their herbal practice and formulations.
- Brand wellness advocates and representatives who would like to deepen their knowledge while selling a line of essential oils.
What you will be able to do:
Graduates of the School for Aromatic Studies Foundation of Aromatherapy Certification Program have a wide range of potential careers to explore including:
- Aromatherapy practitioner
- Aromatherapy entrepreneur
- Aromatherapy writer/blogger
- Spa consultant/practitioner
- Retail specialist
- Aromatherapy educator
- Integrative healthcare practitioner
- Product designer
- Hospice/Palliative care practitioner
This online course is self-paced. Begin as soon as you sign up!
Watch the videos and read the lessons on any device, at your own pace and convenience.
Our Online Aromatherapy Certification (Level 1): Foundations of Aromatherapy comes with:
- 10 Modules devoted to Foundations of Aromatherapy
- 24+ Instructional Videos
- 25+ Exclusive Audio Recordings
- Downloadable and Printable PDF lessons
- Lifetime Access to Course Material, Audio and Video Content
- Our Favorite Suppliers and Resources
- Foundations of Aromatherapy Student forum
- Graduate Directory listing upon successful completion of course.
Meet Your Online Aromatherapy Certification: Foundations Instructor: Jade Shutes
Jade holds a Diploma in Holistic Aromatherapy, Holistic Massage, Anatomy and Physiology, and Reflexology from the Raworth College of Natural Medicine in Dorking, UK, and a Diploma in Aromatherapy from the International Therapist Examining board (ITEC). Jade is currently completing her Masters of Science in Therapeutic Herbalism at the Maryland University of Integrative Health. She hopes to inspire a new generation of aromatherapists with a balanced, progressive and integrative approach to the practice of aromatherapy. She is creator, visionary, and director of education for the School for Aromatic Studies.
My experience at The School for Aromatic Studies has been amazing. I have completed the Foundation of Aromatics course and am now working my way through the Aromatic Scholars course. I have taken numerous distance learning programs and this one is the most beautiful and easy to navigate course that I have had the privilege of taking. As a busy mom, I have been grateful to be able to work through the course materials at my own pace and the program is set up to be able to easily see just where you have left off. The materials are incredibly informative and I love how much I am learning about essential oils and how to safely use them for my family and friends. So happy with these courses and looking forward to taking a few more in the future.