Interested in creating your own botanical body care products? Have you wanted to learn how to create a sustainable botanical body care business?
Our innovative one-of-a-kind certification program brings together all the elements of how to thrive with botanical body care along with the tools you need to create and market beautiful botanical body care products.
Designed by Jade Shutes in 2008, this course is for anyone serious about bringing the connection between beauty and wellness to life through their own artisan, plant-based skin care business. This robust 150-hour program is designed to cultivate your natural product formulation expertise and to expand your knowledge of a range of botanical ingredients.
The course covers not only a wide range of botanical ingredients but also unique approaches to the formulation of a range of body care products, from cleansers and toners to creams and exfoliants. And perhaps most importantly, the course is woven around the use of good manufacturing practices, supporting the success and longevity of your venture into botanical product manufacturing. Each module has been meticulously crafted to deepen your knowledge, strengthen your skills, and expand your formulation process with a range of botanical ingredient palettes.
The Botanical Body Care Products Online Certification Program is a comprehensive program for those seeking to formulate their own botanical body care product line or learn more about the craft of botanical beauty. No previous Aromatherapy training is required!
Online Botanical Body Care Products
Certificate Course Outline
Introduction and Manufacturing Forms
Getting Started, Your Supplies, Tools of the Trade, Readings, Receiving Order Forms, Product Manufacturing Forms
GMP & Labeling Requirements
Good Manufacturing Practices & Labeling Requirements, GMP Readings, Discussion GMP’s
Understanding the Skin: Advanced Anatomy and Physiology, The Health of the Skin, Skin Types
The Ingredient Palette
Your Ingredient Palette, The Essential Oil Palette, Essential Oil Safety, Dermal Limits for Essential Oils and Components, Blending & Essential Oils, The Vegetable Oil Palette, Vegetable Oils in the Formulation Process, The Herbal Oil Palette, Manufacturing Your Own Herbal Oils, The Hydrosol Palette, Manufacturing Your Own Hydrosols, The Herbal Extract Palette, Manufacturing Your Own Herbal Extracts, The Butter and Wax Palette, The Gum and Thickener Palette, The Surfactant Palette, Miscellaneous Material
Foundations of Formulating, Sanitation Practices, Understanding Measurements and Dilutions, Ensuring your weight and measurements, Practical Exercises, Reference Charts for Formulating, Calculations and Spread Sheets
Formulating Oil-Based Products, Body Oils, Sample Body Oil Formulations, Facial Elixirs/Serums, Sample Facial Oil Formulations, Body Butters, Sample Body Butter Formulations, Body and Lip Balms, Sample Balm Formulations, Salves, Sample Salve Formulations, Practical exercises throughout module.
Formulating Water-Based Products, Preservatives for Products Containing Water, Body and Facial Cleansers, Sample Cleanser Formulations, Toners, Sample Toner Formulations, Creams and Lotions, Sample Lotion Formulations, Sample Cream Formulations, Gels, Sample Gel Formulations, Practical exercises throughout module.
Exfoliants, Clays and Powders
Formulation Introduction, The Exfoliant Palette, The Clay Palette, The Powder Palette, Manufacturing Your Own Powders (Think Local Fruits and Vegetables!), Body Scrubs, Sample Body Scrub Formulations, Facial Exfoliants, Sample Facial Exfoliant Formulations, Clay masks, Sample Clay Formulations, Practical exercises throughout module.
Formulating Based on Skin Types, Formulating Seasonal Care Products, Practical exercises
Supplies Resources, Resource -
Associations and Certifications,
How to Complete this Course, Submit Paper, Graduate Directory Listing
Who is this course for?
Everyone interested in deepening their botanical body care formulation skills! This course is your doorway into the world of botanical body care products. Whether you are adding to your aromatherapy body care product line, just beginning or just interested in learning how to make products for yourself, your family, and friends.
- The Aromatherapy Entrepreneur who would like to develop or expand their existing business.
- Aromatherapy Practitioners seeking to expand their offerings to their clients and community.
- Massage Therapists and Estheticians who would like to add aromatherapy into their practice.
- Herbalists interested in integrating a wide range of body care products into their herbal practice and product offerings.
- Parents who would like to be empowered to care for themselves, their family and friends with natural plant-based body care products.
- Individuals interested in teaching other how to make their own botanical skincare products.
What you will learn:
- How to create unique botanical skin and bodycare products through the lens of an aromatherapist.
- Over 24+ monographs on essential oils including palettes based upon therapeutic effects and aroma.
- The Vegetable Oil Palette: 30+ unique vegetable oil monographs.
- Palettes for herbal oils, gums, herbal extracts, preservatives, and surfactants.
- The value of good manufacturing practices and how to implement them into a sustainable business.
- How to keep good records: from receiving inventory to creating product.
- How to formulate oil-based and water-based products utilizing diverse botanical palettes
- How to formulate water based products utilizing diverse botanical palettes
- How to formulate with clay
- How to formulate facial and body exfoliants
- The value of preservatives and a range of preservatives to consider
- When to use a preservative and when to use an antioxidant
- And much more!
What you will be able to do:
Graduates of the School for Aromatic Studies Botanical Body Care Products Online Certification program have a range of potential career options to explore including:
- Develop a body care products line
- Enhance and build upon existing formulation knowledge
- Create a range of botanical body care products
- Deepen your knowledge on how to make beautiful plant-based products
- Aromatherapy Product Formulator
- Small batch botanical skin care product manufacturing
- Botanical Body Care Product Educator
- Botanical Body Care Formulator and Blogger
The Botanical Body Care Products online certification course is self-paced.
Begin as soon as you sign up!
Watch the videos, read lessons, and download lesson pdf, on any device, at your own pace and convenience.
Our Online Botanical Body Care Products Certification Program comes with:
- 10 Modules devoted to botanical, organic, and plant-based skin and body care products.
- 20+ Instructional videos
- Lifetime access to course material, including audio and video content
- Our favorite suppliers and resources (updated and expanded!)
- Student community
- Graduate Directory listing upon successful completion of course.
PLEASE NOTE: Course does not come with supplies. You will need to gather your supplies on your own. The list of necessary supplies is located in the FAQ below. You are NOT required to have every vegetable oil, herbal oil, or butter. Purchase supplies based upon the material you would like to work with.
Meet Your Botanical Body Care Products Instructor
Jade Shutes holds a Diploma in Holistic Aromatherapy, Holistic Massage, Anatomy and Physiology, and Reflexology from the Raworth College of Natural Medicine in Dorking, UK, and a Diploma in Aromatherapy from the International Therapist Examining board (ITEC). Today she is the visionary of innovative and progressive aromatherapy education.
I have learned step by step how to make natural and organic skincare products and started using a lot of new and amazing ingredients. I have deepened my knowledge about essential oils, vegetable oils, herbal oils and how to use it to support and enhance the skin health. All this knowledge has been extremely valuable to my life, family and my business.
this whole course is REALLY AMAZING!!! Wish there was something like this out 5 years ago when I started out making!!!! It is laying many of my fears to bed!